Gothic Toggs

Gothic Toggs
fine art and design since 2008

Friday, July 9, 2010

And the next victim is...

LOL OK so I hope all these great people don't look at it like that.
The next installment of our Zazzler Quiz series in none other than
Rural France

> What is your store name and why did you choose it?
No surprises here! I live in rural France, and wanted a title that would reflect the majority of my work, though I do stray from the subject a lot.

> Where does your inspiration come from?
Everything around me. I've always been keen on photography (over 40 years! - I started young), plants and animals, so it's natural that they should all combine, and I enjoy sharing things that perhaps other people might miss, like a wildflower or insect. I do have to keep telling myself to take fewer photos of flowers though. France has some beautiful countryside, and I hope to get out more this summer for some landscapes. I don't have any telephoto or zoom lenses at the moment, so that means birds and wild animals are largely out of the question. I'm lucky enough to have (with my husband) two Welsh cobs, two goats, some chickens, and some paddocks and woodland, so there are always animals and wildflowers to hand.

> What mediums do you work with the most and why?
A digital camera. It's so much more versatile than a film camera for this sort of work. I've quite a few years experience with Photoshop, so I dabble with manipulation, and invariably have to retouch something in a photo that I didn't notice while I was taking it. This is an extreme example - - the tulips in the front were cutout, and the background made from blurred copies, as the original background was very cluttered (bad planning on my part!). I'd love to sketch and paint as well but there just isn't time to fit it all in.

> Has art always been a focus in you life?
Yes. I hated school, but loved art and sports. I went on to do art at evening school and graphics at college. I consider myself more technically minded than imaginative, I've done technical illustration and civil engineering drawing, and worked for various printing companies preparing artwork, as well as being a self employed graphic artist for 18 years.

> What would be the best way to describe you art to someone who has never seen it before?
I guess it would be "photographs of animals, flowers and countryside with a few more commercially viable subjects thrown in".

> Where would you like to see your art and your store at in the next five years?
Earning enough to supplement my future virtually non-existent pension, but I'm already happy that people have liked my photographs enough to buy some.

> If you had to pick one piece and throw all the rest away, what would it be and why?
Probably this one of two of my past Jack Russells, as there's no chance of taking it again My only regret is that I didn't have a better camera at the time.

> And, finally, if you could recommend someone else to take this quiz, who would it be and why?
Hard to choose as there are so many worthy artists and photographers, but in this instance, Welsh Pixels as she has some beautiful photos that I wish I had taken.

Here are some of our favorite products from Rural Frances wonderful gallery;



ruralfrance's Store at Zazzle

No comments:

Post a Comment